Learn everything about the education system in Malta
Education in Malta: the Maltese education system
Education is the responsibility of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports. Education is compulsory from 5 to 16 years. Classes are given in Maltese and English, and English is taught as a second official language at the beginning of primary school.
The education system comprises:
• Pre-school education is for children 2 years 9 months to 5 years, its attendance is optional
• Compulsory education is divided into two stages: primary education (from 5 to 11 years) and secondary education (11 to 16)
• Upper secondary education, also known as the "Sixth Form" is for students who want to continue their studies at university
• University education
Continuing professional development
The "adult education and evening classes" of the Ministry of Education teaching offer various training opportunities for adults. The Department of Further Studies and Adult Training is in charge of adult education. Training topics are varied during trades or crafts, courses on school subjects, on leisure activities, as well as drama classes.
Other public or private entities also offer training. The unions, consular and professional organizations and municipalities organize general or vocational courses.
Professional and Vocational Training
Job seekers have the opportunity to receive professional training, through several programs:
▪ Training courses and employment for the long-term unemployed. The ETC (Employment Training Corporation) funds for one year, 50% of the minimum wage paid by private employers who recruit them.
▪ Program "entrepreneurial spirit" to promote entrepreneurship. Target groups are job seekers older than 40 years, women and young graduates.
▪Program of municipal employment programs that provide employment and training opportunities to job seekers and long-term aged over 40 years.
The training offer
The main public training institutions are: